It’s been almost two weeks now since we touched ground in Europe. I’ve been busy meeting with family & friends and essentially looking for a job. We’re also getting married in december which is getting really close but haven’t had a chance to work on that much. The good side of all this is however that there’s still a little more time for other things. My father walked me around the Expo.02 area in Neuchatel (he’s coordinating the whole thing). The third large inflatable structure was brought up today and I even had a chance to walk on top of it for a few minutes. There’s an amazing view over the entire town, and it’s pretty strange to be walking on one huge balloon 20+ meters above the lake surface. Too bad most people will only be allowed to wander below those huge stone-shaped, air-filled structures;)
Yep, different timezone. So much has been going on these last weeks that I hardly know where to start. First, I don’t think anybody has fully recovered yet from the September 11 horror. Then, my jobsearch in the Bay Area has led me nowhere, and
we’ve finally decided to move back to Switzerland. Talk about a nightmare. Oh, and Swissair is stuck on the ground but right now I really couldn’t care less. Family and friends are great – both in the Bay Area and in Switzerland -which is helping a lot. We’re for instance living with my father for a while until we’ve found a place of our own.
This morning’s events, with planes crashing into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, came as a shock to everyone. Locally, all San Francisco schools have been
shut down. The airports are closed. All Bay Area bridges are closed to traffic. On the job front, things are moving really slowly. Considering the situation in today’s Silicon Valley, it might just make more sense to go back to Switzerland.We’ll need to make a decision soon.
Time for a short status report. I did need a few days to adjust to this new situation. My fiancee, our friends and some prior co-workers have been awesome, supportive, nice, helpful, you name it. Some have even offered to help me very directly in my job hunt and as of today, there are already a dozen copies of my resume circulating the Bay Area. Not much yet but it’s a good start. And most of them went to people with a name and a face, not an anonymous submission form.
Well, it seems I’m part of it this time… 1000+ of us learned today that we have become structurally undesirable (my wording). The meeting I had with my manager was short and to the point – I have to acknowledge that he’s done everything he
could. Now if only those measures could indeed help turn over this company… We’ve certainly trimmed costs to an extent that can’t be reproduced indefinitely. Too bad this had to happen not even a year into our relocation experience. So Plan A is to look for a job in the area – but the Bay Area sure ain’t what it used to be. I guess I should
also look further out in the country. Plan B is to go back to Switzerland. Gee, did it feel strange packing my stuff and leaving the office today…
My company last friday announced an additional wave of layoffs that will trim our
workforce another 1,000 heads or so. Also, the Swiss subsidiary where I was hired several years ago will most probably be closed. Around here, HP just annouced it’s laying off 6,000 people, and JDS Uniphase is handing out pink slips to a similar number of employees. A new breed of ads has also started showing up on the radio, inviting listners to attend auctions where massive quantities of office and computer
equipment from dotcoms gone bust is being handed out for ridiculous prices.
Jeudi 14 juin, depart pour Los Angeles. Nous avons choisi la voiture plutot que l’avion dans l’objectif de rentrer quelques jours apres par la Pacific Coast Highway (alias Highway 1) longeant l’ocean Pacific. Pour descendre ce jeudi nous optons pour un trajet plus direct via la Interstate 5 – ou I-5 pour les intimes. Depart a 6:30 du matin.